This March, we happily announced a new Afrocenchix’s series called Women Doing Bits Series on Friday 5th March.
The series would see us talking to impressive women in our community (like Bola Sol, Abadesi Osunsade, Nicole Crentsil and Sharmadean Reid) about what they do, how they came up with their big ideas and much more.
To celebrate the launch of the series and International Women’s Day, we hosted a special event with Sharmadean Reid, Founder and CEO of Beautystack and our very own Rachael Corson, Co-founder of Afrocenchix.
The special virtual event looked to inspire our community and celebrate women that are doing incredible things.
"The media is one of the most powerful ways to change culture and ideology about what women's place is in the world that we live in today. I'm getting more and more tired of descriptions of women in mainstream media that still diminish their power. I feel that the best way I can effect change is through news, media and technology. And that's what I'm going to do." explains Sharmadean.
In the event (which you can rewatch in the video above) Rachael and Sharmadean discussed the following...
- Some of the ways that the beauty community was hit by Covid
- How Sharmadean come up with the idea for The Stack World
- The importance of communities
- How Sharmadean has been recognised as one of the most inspiring businesswomen of our times and if she's felt pressure to be a role model for the next generation
- Advice for someone looking for creative freedom to do what they love
- And of course, favourite beauty products
The event then ended with a live question and answer section with our wonderful audience.
Bola Sol: Women Doing Bits Series
Women Doing Bits: In Conversation with Sharmadean Reid & Rachael Corson
Back to Afrocenchix Afro Hair Blog